There seems to be possible confusion re the Hall as normally attributed to part of St. Peter's College but New Inn Hall is also attributed to Balliol at one point either way a hall now demolished making it pretty useless for alumni but a fascinating (cheap) early engraving
New Inn Hall was one of the earliest medieval Halls of the University of Oxford. It was located in New Inn Hall Street, Oxford. The original building on the site was Trellick's Inn for students, which passed on the death in 1360 of its founder Bishop John Trilleck, Bishop of Hereford to William of Wykeham, Bishop of Winchester, and from him to New College in 1392. After being used by Cistercian students for some years from about 1400 to 1420, the hall was entirely rebuilt shortly before 1476 and renamed the New Inn. As the Inns developed into teaching establishments, New Inn Hall became noted for its jurists such as Alberico Gentili, Regius Professor of Civil Law, Sir Daniel Donne, the first MP for Oxford University in Parliament and Dr.John Budden, Regius Professor of Civil Law.
During the Civil War, the Hall was used as a mint for melting down the plate donated to the king by the Oxford colleges.Part of the site was used in 1833 by John Cramer, then the principal, to build the Cramer Building as a hostel for undergraduates.Merger with Balliol CollegeUnder a statute of 1881, New Inn Hall was merged into Balliol College in 1887. Balliol acquired New Inn Hall's admissions and other records for 1831–1887 as well as the library of New Inn Hall, which largely contained 18th century law books. New Inn Hall was then used to accommodate students on an Indian Civil Service probationary course.When the site was no longer required by Balliol, it was put up for sale. Most of the site was purchased by the City Council, and the buildings demolished to make room for a new Central School for Girls.
The Cramer Building, on the other hand, was eventually sold in 1894 to Francis James Chavasse and W. Talbot Rice (rector of St Peter-le-Bailey), who converted it into a missionary centre known as Hannington Hall. In 1929, it became part of St Peter's Hall (now St Peter's College), a new college founded by Chavasse, by then himself rector of St Peter-le-Bailey (having previously been Bishop of Liverpool).
LOGGAN (David) Oxonia Illustrata, sive Omnium Celeberrimae istius Universitatis Collegiorum, Aularum, Bibliothecae Bodleianae, Scholarum Publicarum, Theatri Sheldoniani; ne non Urbis Totius Scenographia.
LOGGAN (David) Oxonia Illustrata, sive Omnium Celeberrimae istius Universitatis Collegiorum, Aularum, Bibliothecae Bodleianae, Scholarum Publicarum, Theatri Sheldoniani; ne non Urbis Totius Scenographia. Oxford: e Theatro Sheldoniano [actually L. Lichfield]. 1675, entirely engraved on copper, consisting of titlepage, royal privilege, dedication to Charles II, preface, 40 plates (11 topographical, including the fine bird's-eye view of the city, 1 costume, 28 colleges and halls) of perspective views (all of which are double-sheet except Christ Church, which is on three), folio, (438x310mm ) with central fold
OPENING HOURS . MONDAY, FRIDAY & SATURDAY Appointments at the shop may be arranged by contacting us either by telephone or email.
DELIVERY & PAYMENT Payment is via Paypal if other methods are preferred please contact the shop directly we take most cards, cheques etc
are postage inclusive worldwide if over £35 Any print will be
reserved upon receiving an email and kept for a week to allow a
cheque to arrive.