St Mary Hall was an academic hall of the University of Oxford associated with Oriel College since 1326, but which functioned independently from 1545 to 1902.In 1320, Adam de Brome was appointed rector of the Church of St Mary the Virgin. Along with the appointment, he was given the rectory house, St Mary Hall, on the High Street. St Mary Hall was acquired by Oriel College in 1326. Bedel Hall, adjoining St Mary's to the south, was given by Bishop Carpenter of Worcester in 1455. These two halls, along with St Martin's Hall, served as annexes for Oriel College.
In the early 16th century, the St Dudley and Dudley exhibitioners were lodged in St Mary Hall and Bedel Hall, and around this time the two halls were united. St Mary Hall steadily developed into an independent entity, and in 1545, on the order the Visitor, Bishop Longland of Lincoln, the door between St Mary Hall and Oriel was blocked up. The Hall took on its own lecturers, and for a time, the numbers of St Mary's exceeded those of Oriel.
In 1552, there were 18 members excluding the principal. The Principals of St Mary Hall continued to be Fellows of Oriel until 1656. By 1875 its undergraduate body had risen to 60, a large number at that time.
The Hall was effectively the property of its Principal, who was also Vicar of St Mary's Church, and the last Principal, Drummond Percy Chase, who had been appointed in 1857, agreed with Oriel that on his death the Hall would revert to Oriel. It was not until his death in 1902 that the Hall was incorporated into Oriel College. Some remnants of the relationship still exist, in that the benefice of the Vicar of St Mary's Church carries dining rights at Oriel.
The present-day St Mary's Quad, or third quadrangle, of Oriel occupies three ranges of the former buildings of the Hall, while the Principal's house was demolished for the construction of the Rhodes Building, designed by Basil Champneys and completed in 1911.
LOGGAN (David) Oxonia Illustrata, sive Omnium Celeberrimae istius Universitatis Collegiorum, Aularum, Bibliothecae Bodleianae, Scholarum Publicarum, Theatri Sheldoniani; ne non Urbis Totius Scenographia.
LOGGAN (David) Oxonia Illustrata, sive Omnium Celeberrimae istius Universitatis Collegiorum, Aularum, Bibliothecae Bodleianae, Scholarum Publicarum, Theatri Sheldoniani; ne non Urbis Totius Scenographia. Oxford: e Theatro Sheldoniano [actually L. Lichfield]. 1675, entirely engraved on copper, consisting of titlepage, royal privilege, dedication to Charles II, preface, 40 plates (11 topographical, including the fine bird's-eye view of the city, 1 costume, 28 colleges and halls) of perspective views (all of which are double-sheet except Christ Church, which is on three), folio, (438x310mm ) with central fold
OPENING HOURS . MONDAY, FRIDAY & SATURDAY Appointments at the shop may be arranged by contacting us either by telephone or email.
DELIVERY & PAYMENT Payment is via Paypal if other methods are preferred please contact the shop directly we take most cards, cheques etc
are postage inclusive worldwide if over £35 Any print will be
reserved upon receiving an email and kept for a week to allow
a cheque to arrive.